I’ve been working at MD Systems as an intern for a month now, It’s amazing how fast time flies by and you don’t even realise it.
This blogpost is part of the on-going MD Systems Drupal 8 Internships. In these Blogs the students report monthly about their experience with Drupal 8, the development work they do and the cooperation with our Team...
In my first month alone I’ve attended to Drupal 8 Media Community Sprint week, joined my first SCRUM meeting, ported a module to Drupal 8, contributed to several modules, contributed to core and I did a lot more. With porting I mean modifying an old release of a Drupal module (in this case Drupal 7) to work with Drupal 8.
Together with a fellow intern our assignment was to finish the partially done Drupal 8 port of the Saferpay Module and integrate it with the Payment Module. While working on Saferpay for a few days we stumbled on an integration problem, after some research there was a management decision to switch from Saferpay to Datatrans.
Datatrans was only released in Drupal 7, this meant we had to port it to Drupal 8. We did this by starting a new module from scratch and implementing all existing features one by one. We could’ve also modified the existing module step by step but as Datatrans was not a large module we decided to start from scratch as this gave us a good overview what exactly was done and what had to be done. After we finished porting Datatrans my first Drupal 8 community sprint week started.
Media Sprint week
Every few weeks MD-Systems opens their doors to sprint for a new Drupal 8 Contrib topic. And so they did on the 21th of July. The whole week we would work on Media and related modules with other participants. I mainly worked on Media Entity, my main tasks were to solve open issues, provide Views integration for media items and create tests for new functionality.
As of Drupal 8, Views has been incorporated into Drupal Core. Learn more about Views in Drupal 8.
Back to the daily routine
After having a successful sprint it was time to move forward and return to the daily routine.
For me this meant working on my next assignment File Entity. File Entity was partially ported to Drupal 8 and my tasks were to create a multi steps, entity edit and configurable fields forms, implement basic routing, menu links and local tasks, improve files view and last but not least provide complete test coverage for these added features using SimpleTest.
At the time of writing this I’m working on a bigger project, you’ll be able to read more about this on my next blog which will be due next month. Don’t forget to follow my recent activity on Drupal.org